Sunday, February 1, 2015

Routine Maintenance - Read

Reading sharpens the mind.
Reading calms a stormy soul.
Reading teaches what others know.
Reading tells fantastic tales.
Reading spawns greatness.

Why did I choose to make reading a part of my daily ritual?

In the morning reading was the catalyst for new ideas. It woke up my mental capacities. It reminded me of the vision I have for myself. I started the day with quick and engaging reads. Blogs and feeds I follow and find inspirational. New ideas and questions to get me through the day.

As a part of my slowdown process reading helps to shut out the business of the day. It calms me and allows me to feel balanced and centered. I read longer things. I read scripture. I read fiction.

Though it's not reading and not part of a set routine I also listen while I work. Mostly music, pod-casts, and talks of different types. It keeps my mind active and allows me to focus better on the work I am doing.

Also not a part of a routine but I love to read to my kids. People call them chapter books. Roald Dahl, E.B. White, J.R.R. Tolkien, L. Frank Baum... I just finished reading Peter Pan with my 7 year old daughter. The language was strange and it called for a lot of explanation and conversation. I started reading Charlie and the Chocolate factory with my soon to be 5 year old son. Easier to understand, quicker, funner, with laughs and excitement.

Reading is essential.

No comments:

Post a Comment