Monday, February 23, 2015

My Best Me - Building a Community and Building My Voice

Earlier this month I was able to take part in something I've wanted to do since we arrived in this awesome town. I've been heasitant to do anything about it because I felt so strongly that this thing was something I was supposed to be a part of and I didn't want to see it crash and burn.

Then one day someone else opened the door.

We have a local facebook message board where people post everything from restaurant and auto mechanic recommendations to community event and lost pet announcements. It's a great resource.

I got on one day to ask a question of my own when another caught my attention...

"Are you a minimalist? I want to know more..."

This simple question got several responses and sparked great discussion. Then, I realized what was happening. I saw the serendipitous formation of a group.

This was as good an opportunity as I was ever going to get. So, ready or not, I had to go for it.

I made the suggestion that it would be great to meet up in person to talk more, share ideas, successes, and failures from each of our personal journeys to simplicity. Any takers? Please and thank you!

I created a facebook page to manage the group and coordinate in person meetups. Almost immediately we had 6 followers! Then I was clued in on the difference between facebook pages and groups and that people would probably be alot more likely to share and contribute in more private group.

The group was created a few weeks ago and last I checked we were at 44 members. It's awesome!

We've had more great discussion and I am getting things ready for our first meetup next month. I'm really looking forward to seeing this group grow and being able to share and learn from others. I will definitely keep you posted.

How does this tie into my February Lifestyle Challenge of becoming My Best Me?

I am a definite introvert. An INTJ on the Meyers-Briggs, by nature I like to observe, analyze, and most often internalize. Over the past few years as I have learned more and more about simplicity, mindfulness, intentionality, and other things I have had an overwhelming desire to share this knowledge with others (part of the reason I started Burning the Script). I have wanted to share but for me personally it's borderline terrifying.

If something, anything, is supposed to happen in life, it will find a way. With or without me.

In this case it took another like minded person to set the stage. While timing is often key and its important to not force things, when an opportunity presents itself you've gotta go all in and take it.

I have slowly been training/forcing myself to become more assertive in all areas of my life.

It's hard!

I'm not trying to change my I to an E in the Meyers-Briggs assesment. I value that perspective.

My goal is to more openly and confidently share what I have to say before it builds up and I become a ticking time bomb. I've had a few conversations recently with my wife and others about how I feel completely misunderstood by most people. I'm not projecting My Best Me so they aren't seeing it.

I'd love to change that.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment