Saturday, February 14, 2015

My Best Me / V-Day Yay! - Paper Clutter Nay!

Happy Valentines Day!

We're 2 weeks into the month and I thought it was the perfect day to do an accountability check for this month's lifestyle experiment. "My Best Me"

I've wrapped up several of my home design projects recently and have had a few pretty slow weeks. It's been nice. Really nice! I've learned to enjoy this time and not get stressed out about money coming in and staying busy. I know this next week it is going to pick right back up and I'll be cruising again with work for a while. For now I've decided to take full advantage of the extra time and get things done.

First up, the Unpacking Party.

There were a few things I knew I wanted to bring back into my office and life right away. I've been feeling the desire lately to start drawing more so my drawing table was a must. I also have a few vintage military storage drawers that I inherited with the house. Retro, edgy and a perfect home for my office supplies. It felt good to get some big items out of the way and open some space to make a mess.

Time to get down to business!

There she was, The Beast. A heavy, old, red, filing cabinet. As good a place to start as any.

I had been holding onto years and years of school papers, income tax forms dating back to 2002, real-estate contracts for our first home (now on #3) and other paper relics that just didn't need to be in my life. I hadn't been holding on to them for any particular reason, I just hadn't found the time to sort through them.

When I realized I didn't have a use for the now empty space hog of a filing cabinet anymore I quickly decided it would be very helpful as a temporarily solution to tame another paper monster we've had recently down by the family computer.

After going through 2 more moving size boxes filled with more of the same paper madness I put my shredder to good use on all the sensitive info and filled the recycling bin.

I would say I'm about halfway done with the project. Which is great because I'm halfway through the month. I still have the biggest mountain to climb. My books. I love books. Technology is amaing and it is great to have reading material litteraly at my fingertips with my computer and phone. Call me old fashion if you will, there is something maabout real books that makes reading more enjoyable. Alot of my books are architectural reference books that I love for all the pictures. But I guarantee I could find the same projects online. 5 minutes tops.

The past 3 months of working in a more simple space have given me new perspective on what I really require to run my business. Less distractions means better and faster work means happy clients.

Working through the unpacking process and other things I've been able to do this month has been great. I've noticed a big difference already in my ability to let go, be myself, and love life. I'm frustrated less often and I feel I've done better at demonstrating the amazing love I have for my family. You might have to ask Ali and the minions if I've really improved or if I'm just dilusional.

I'm really not big on V-Day but love them with all I have. It feels great to let it out.

Up next...

Getting Down and Dirty With Yardwork

No comments:

Post a Comment