Friday, February 6, 2015

My Best Me / Unpacking Party

A huge step towards achieving February's Lifestyle Experiment goal of being "my best me" is going to be rifling through all the junk I've had hidden behind the curtains for over 3 months.

I'm planning on getting started with that tomorrow morning. Before I do I wanted to do one final check in from the Packing Party I had on Halloween. I made a video of this but am once again having issues with youtube... I need to figure that out!

For now, you get pictures. This is everything I've used for business and all the clothing I worn.

 
I love my desk now! I've done a few things to free up space like adding a dual monitor stand and cable management. I've been able to keep things pretty simple. Just my keyboard and mouse, speakers, pencil sharpener, desk lamp and a small tray for pencils, pens and things like paper clips. 
 
It still gets pretty messy when I'm working but it's so much easier to maintain control. On the floor I have a couple boxes I am currently using as a filing system and my trash and recycling cans.
 
You may have noticed. I started painting the walls. The puke color I had before was a huge distraction for me and I'm able to focus so much better with the clean white.

 
Behind my desk I've added a small shelving unit for office supplies and tools. I'd like to create a surplus storage area somewhere so I only need to have one of each item on hand in the work zone.
 
My kids' office is looking about the same. Having less junk in the office overall has helped to coral their art supplies and projects.
 
I keep the space heater stowed in the corner when it's not in use.
 

I'm amazed at how little clothing I have really needed the past 3 months.

Starting with essential, I have my ReAL Salt Lake game day scarf. I've brought out 5 neck ties for dapper days. I only use about 12" of hang-rod space for pants, shirts, jackets, and belts. I have the dirty clothes basket below and have a small drawer unit for pajama pants, swim and soccer shorts, socks and underwear. I'm keeping my shoes and some athletic gear on top of the drawers.

I do have a coat, jacket, and pair of running shoes downstairs and some "dirty work" clothes out in the garage.


And that's it!

I know that as I begin going through everything I've kept hidden for the past few months I will bring more things into my space. This experience had given me the stubbornness and will power to make sure what I do bring back in will be limited to the things that are necessary for life and business. I don't imagine that being much more than I already have.

No comments:

Post a Comment