Thursday, January 29, 2015

Routine Maintenance - Body Weight Exercises.

Somebody, somewhere had the devious idea to convince us all that being fit was a difficult thing. It required monthly payments to visit a huge air conditioned building with tons of expensive equipment and specially trained people to explain the correct way to use their apparatus. They've done a pretty good job at making us all believe this is all necessary. That without the proper machinery you are not going to be able to do the anatomically correct movement.

Really?

Since when was a hunk of metal weights and cables anatomically anything?

I have paid my dues over the years. Belonging to different gyms, health clubs, and fitness centers. All with different features and perks. Equipped with monthly membership fee and each it's own breed of muscle heads and gym rats prowling the scene.

Enter Crossfit.

My first experience with this new and rapidly growing movement was a keeper.

I would guess it was about 5 years ago. My older brother invited me to come check out the new gym he had been training at. "It's a crossfit place, you'll love it", "Okay". I had no idea what he was talking about.

I pulled up the the sketchy, back alley warehouse thinking I had the wrong address. But I saw my brother poke his head out and motion me over.

Alright, let's see what this is all about.

He and his friend showed me the workout plan for the day all written out on a chalkboard. Pretty basic stuff. Whats the big deal?

"Move fast, try to keep up and don't stop until you've done everything 3 times"

We hit it hard! At least I thought we did. I gave it everything I had and it burned. Halfway through the second round I was finally starting to see the vision when it hit me back. I could feel it coming on like a strange shadow. I lost my breath, my body lost all it's strength, and everything... went.... black.

When I came back I was being held up against the wall by my brother. I was still short of breath and a bit confused. It took me a while to feel normal again. When I did I had just one thought.

That, was incredible!

Not the part where I felt like I died. That part sucked. But the workout. The simplicity of it. Sure they had some equipment in the place but it was all basic stuff. Medicine balls, kettle bells, a pull up bar....

Surprisingly, that was my one and only crossfit experience. No reason not to I've just never gone.

But that experience opened my eyes to something that has stuck with me.

Body weight exercises are AMAZING!

They can be done by anyone, at any time, wherever they happen to be. They are simple and don't require expensive equipment or monthly membership dues. No more excuses to not work out.

Some of my favorites are the most fundamental.

Push ups (I do 4-5 variations)
Pull ups
Squats
Crunches
Modified yoga

It's great! I love it and feel like I'm just a kid playing around. I used to mix it in with my boxing workouts (Heavy bag, speed bag, jump-rope...) and cant wait to get my garage cleared out so I can get back into it. I also used to mix it in on my trail runs. After 5 or so miles when I came to a good place I would stop and do some burpees or lunges. It's awesome when people stop and stare!

Yes, I know, I am a stick figure. But I'm not trying to win any body building competitions. I really don't care to get huge like the bros walking around the gym in ripped t-shirts. It's really not healthy.

My goal is vitality, explosive strength, and endurance. This is a great way to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment