Monday, October 27, 2014

It's Time to Party! - Grab the Boxes.

 
I first heard about the "Packing Party" while watching a youtube video from a guy named Ryan Nicodemus. He and his friend Joshua Fields Millburn have dubbed themselves The Minimalists. They run a blog by that name and have written several books, and essays and regularly speak at events like TED.

After watching Ryan's video I have come across several other people who have done packing parties of their own. Each has their own variations but the idea is simple and effective.

Here are the basics of the Packing Party.

1- Box everything up as if you were moving. Be quick but systematic. Group like items and label boxes so you can find things. When you get to the off season items keep them together. No "moving day panic packing". If you identify things that you know right away you can do without get rid of them! Sell, donate, gift, trash. No reason to keep them in the mix.

2- Throw sheets over larger items like furniture that you absolutely know you will be using.

3- Clear it all out and start with a clean slate. Take some time to observe and appreciate the space.

4- As you determine that you need or really, really want an item go get it and find a home for it.

5- As you retrieve items refrain from grabbing other things by default just because you see them. Wait until you specifically need them.

6- Continue going through this process and you will find yourself opening up boxes less and less often. When you feel you have reached that point mark the calendar and live in your new space for a pre-determined length of time (3 weeks - 2 months, whatever feels right to you).

7- Now that you've had this time to settle in and enjoy the new found freedom from excess it's time to open up the boxes. Hopefully your perspective on life and possessions will have changed a bit by now and you can look at each item in a truly subjective way to determine if you really want it in your life.

8- Take a look at your before pictures and video and reflect on how things have changed. Think about how different areas of your life have improved by making this change. Commit yourself to maintaining this new found awesomeness.



So why haven't I already done this?

I've been on this path to simplicity for a few years now and have been through several cycles of purging and uncluttering. I've seen the difference in my life each time I have eliminated a box of baggage and felt more free to move forward to the present and future.

The biggest thing holding me back to this point has been fear. Fear of drastic change. Fear of letting go of or dealing with some things. But the biggest fear.... seeing my true self emerge for the first time In years without all the excess.

I'm really looking forward to this change and know it will be a very positive thing for myself and my family. But my fear is because I don't know that person anymore. The last time I remember truly feeling like myself was 10 years ago while doing missionary service in Spain. Everything I owned fit into 2 bags and I loved it.

Why now?

I've thought about throwing a Packing Party a few times in the past but never had the level of motivation / frustration to actually make it happen. This past month or so has been a very humbling time for me. Dealing with the loss of my Grandpa has been rough. I've been a wreck. I have been extremely on edge and irritable and I've said harsh words to my wife and children. Last week I realized a critical oversight I had made on one of my home design projects.... 3 months ago! This has led to several days of toxic self talk running through my head. I'm a fake, I'm worthless. I'm not a good person...

I'm not one for excuses. I'm pretty good at owning up to my mistakes and doing whatever is necessary to fix the problem. But this person I've been, this monster I've given into for the past several years, is not me. So who do I blame? Who is the culprit?

CLUTTER!

Yes I know, I've been the master builder of my mountain of madness so I'm not completely passing the buck here. But to an extent I've just been following The Script. Accumulating the things I'm "supposed to have". Combine that with my inherent absent mindedness and chronic disorganization and you get a ticking time bomb.

This experience has been more than enough incentive to take it to the next level and give myself a fighting chance. I'm excited, overwhelmed, scared, and optimistic all in one.

Packing Party
Thursday, October 30th 6:00 AM
You're Invited!

No, I'm not asking or suggesting that you wake up early to come help my box up my junk. I'm inviting / challenging you to have your own Packing Party. Do a room, a single drawer, or your whole house. Whatever works for you. Try it out!

This Thursday I'm going to wake up early and get started. Clothing, office supplies, photos and other things on the wall are all getting boxed up. I know it is going to take a while and I have to get some work done so I'll do a couple more hours that afternoon and finish up Halloween morning. My goal is to have the space completely cleared out for when I start the day on November 1st.

I plan on posting a video and probably some photos of before I get started so you can see my current space. I'll do more over the next several weeks as my space takes shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment