Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Broken Zipper Memories

Each step I have taken towards simplifying my life I have noticed myself really enjoying what I decide to hold on to.

I love fall weather and the fall season in general. It brings back so many amazing memories both recent and distant. I love the crisp air and changing colors. It's what I call jacket weather. This past week the temperature has been dropping right along with the leaves. Time to put away the summer clothes and pull out the colder weather clothing.

There's one item I didn't have to pull out.


My grey hooded jacket.

It is probably my favorite piece of clothing and has been a 4 season favorite since I found it on a clearance rack probably 8 years ago. It fits perfect and is just the right thickness to keep me warm but not sweaty.

I have developed a kind of existential relationship with this simple jacket. Even more so the past few years as I have focused more on simplicity and living a meaningful life.

Date nights with my beautiful wife, camping trips, helping my brothers do renovation work on their homes, raking leaves with my kids... So many great memories live in this jacket.

My jacket is slowly beginning to die. The zipper pull broke this past spring and the elbows are wearing thin. It is still very comfortable, and still serves its purpose, but probably not for much longer.

I know the memories aren't really a part of the jacket and won't fade when its gone. After all its just a jacket. But it is nice to have things that hold special significance.
 
What hold special significance for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment