Friday, June 6, 2014

June 6th



When I woke up this morning I checked the date on my phone. 6/6/2014

June 6th… Do I have something going on today? Why does this date feel significant?

I lay in bed through a couple 5 minute snoozes thinking about it and still nothing. So I got up to start the day. 

I drank a glass of water, ate a banana, and went out to the backyard to let our dozen chickens out of the coop. I paused for a few minutes to watch these funny, strange birds stretch their wings, run around and start scratching around in the dirt. It's got to feel pretty good to get outside after you've been standing on a stick all night long. Freedom!

Then it came to me 

June 6th!

One year ago today I lost my job.

Alright, alright.... I was fired.

I had been working for this company for 7 years. It had been a great job. A renowned and respected company backed by 100 years of tradition and excellence. They treated each employee with respect and provided great benefits and opportunities.

But that company no longer existed. It was being driven into the ground by a few very greedy people. It was a sad process to watch, the last year or so had been agonizing.

This company had trained me to observe and analyze. To break down processes and identify waste and inefficiency. My thoughts and observations fell upon deaf ears and I was basically told to watch my back and keep my mouth shut. I guess I learn the hard way because I didn't.

I had long since lost passion for the work I was doing and t was affecting my personal life. I had resigned myself to the fact that it wasn't going to get any better. I had a plan in place to leave the first of July. I was on track and things were falling into place but I didn't make it that long.

When I got pulled into the H.R. office I knew exactly what was coming.

It was a bitter sweet feeling walking out of the building with a box that day. I met countless amazing people, had some great experiences, and learned a ton. 

Then, I had a realization that forever changed my life.

I was no longer "Employee 7209"

I no longer had to live by the rules. It was time to Burn the Script society had written for me.

---

So much of what we have been taught about life is false. It's shameful, it really is. What we've learned about success, intelligence, fitness and nutrition, love.... There is so much more to life than we have been led to believe.

As kids we gained an understanding of the world on our own terms. I definitely learned my share of things the hard way. Worms don’t taste good, even when they’re cooked. Taking a road bike to the bmx track will end badly, every time. If you start a small fire in a field you will burn it down.

I’m still learning a lot of things the hard way and I love it. This past year has been a wild ride as I've learned to live life on my own terms. I’ve had countless enlightening experiences and breakthroughs along the way that have saved my life, marriage, and sanity. I'd feel very ungrateful to not share with everyone I can. 

So that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to write. I am going to experience life and write about it.

If you like reality TV then stay tuned. I am so passionate about what I have to say that I guarantee I’ll make a complete fool of myself and embarrass those closest to me in the process (you have been warned).

I don’t know everything. I wouldn’t be doing this if I did. If you are looking for a life guru I am not. There are plenty of these people out there and I would be happy to point you in their direction. I’m here to learn. To try new things, fail miserably, and hopefully do some good. If I write something you disagree with or present an idea that is completely boneheaded, please, call me out on it. Share your ideas and opinions.

I’d love to have others write for me as well. I know some of the coolest people who do amazing things. I have an amazing and supportive wife who has been with me every step of this journey and I plan on coercing her to write from time to time.

Why am I doing this? There are several reasons, which I’ll share as time goes by, but for now I’ll just say

I love life and I love people.

If each post inspires one person to improve their life it will all be worthwhile.


Please become involved!

Comment on posts, ask questions, give suggestions for future posts, share this blog with others, and share YOUR journey! It would be awesome to learn from you too.


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment