Saturday, March 21, 2015

Cadence in Life - Lessons from the Black Locust Trees

In one of my first posts to this blog I told you all about our trip up to Heber City to check out this old house for sale. My first impression of the house was Big Old Piece of _____.

The yard was a completely different story.

I've said it before and I'll say it again 1000 times. I love trees. The front yard was awesome but after making our way through the ramshackle house I saw the backyard and I was sold.

 
This picture doesn't even begin to do the yard justice. The grass was hammered, the planting beds were overgrown, and their was strange garbage stashed here and there. It was a pretty big mess.
 
But the trees!
 
Huge, mature, beautiful green shade trees everywhere! A few of them I recognized as some type of maple (Box Elder complete with the nasty bugs but I did find out they produce great syrup) and other trees that resembled the Honey Locust trees we had in the yard of our first home.
 
A bit rough around the edges but in my mind it had all the ingredients for paradise.
 
We moved in that December after all the leaves had fallen and the green had gone. As the snow fell to the ground and clung to bushes and branches our yard was transformed into a different brand of paradise. A winter wonderland. It was awesome to watch our kids run around in their new world. Tracking up the snow and climbing trees.
 
Pretty soon the snow melted away and the color came back to our yard. It was amazing to watch everything spring to life. The grass started coming in. Buds where showing on the lilac bushes and Box Elder trees, and the songs of birds returned. It was incredible.
 
Then, I freaked out.
 
Our entire yard was coming to life except for one thing. Our beautiful grove of Black Locust trees.
 
Everything else was looking amazing. These trees were looking dead. To make it worse a few of the branches snapped off way to easily when I pulled on them. Yep, the trees were dead.
 
I won't lie, I was pretty distraught. Most of the trees in our yard were Black Locust and they were all dead! From what I hear a lot of people consider them weeds because they grow like crazy and do whatever they want but I think they are incredible trees and will gladly deal with their personality quirks. I love the diffuse shade they create and the sound their small leaves make in the wind.
 
So much for that.
 
After sulking it up for a few days I saw something that made me wonder. I started seeing Black Locusts all around town. They must have been the tree of choice at some point because they were everywhere. I noticed that they were all looking pretty dead. It wasn't just our backyard forest that was struggling.
 
Sure enough, within a couple weeks the Black Locust trees decided to come out of hibernation and quickly sprang to life. before long they were just as full and vibrant as the other trees and plants.
 
Last spring I didn't know that the Black Locust trees were late bloomers and it put me in panic mode. This year I know what to expect and I've been able to let nature do it's thing and enjoy the season.
 
...
 
I've given you fair warning, this blog gets spiritual NOW.
 
This month I've been thinking a lot about the whole Cadence in Life thing. I'm finally coming to terms with the fact that I can't force life. There are so many things that I want to make happen for myself, for my family and for others. I like to move fast and I like to get things done. When life (situations, my work, other people) doesn't move at my pace I've tended to get a bit frustrated.
 
At some point I got the idea that if I worked hard enough and applied enough leverage and pressure to life it would move in the direction I want it to go. Sometimes it works with great results. Other times I do all I can and nothing happens then suddenly SNAP! life breaks.
 
Patience is something that doesn't come easy for me. It's one of those things I really have to work at. Being patient with myself, with my wife and kids, with my responsibilities in my work and in my community.
 
Sometimes, not often enough, I remember this wise bit of advice and promise.
 
"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness, I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then I will make weak things become strong unto them."    
Ether 12:27
 
I have definitely been feeling pretty weak lately. I've had several conversations with my wife about how I feel I am being torn into 2 people by opposing influences in my life. I've noticed there has been a fine line between feeling motivated, empowered, and guided and disillusioned, weak, and alone.
 
I've definitely felt like I was going it alone at times. Like I was without a team playing in the biggest game of my life against an extremely aggressive and talented opponent.
 
"At times we may be tempted to think the Savior is oblivious to our trials. In fact, the reverse is true: it is we who need to be awakened in our hearts to His teachings. Use your ingenuity, your strength, your might to resolve your challenges, Do all you can do and then leave the rest to the Lord."
Joseph B. Wirthlin, "Finding a Safe Harbor"
 
When I actually take time to pause and look up I realize that my team has been here the whole time. They have all wanted to play but I've been a superstar ball hog trying to push the game forward and win on my own. It might work that way in little league but not here, not on this stage.
 
I'm going to take what's left of this month and beyond to really focus on relying on my team. I'll do everything in my power to do my part in life and get things done but also allow life to move at it's own steady pace and fill in the gaps.
 
GO TEAM!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment