Monday, July 21, 2014

Infirmary Exodus - The Cure is Simple

The week and a half since my last post has been filled with family activities, hundreds of miles of driving, getting caught up on projects, a 17 mile trail run (my personal non-pavement distance record) and being sick, SICK, SICK!

I'm lucky to not get sick very often but when I do it hits me like a freight train and is gone just as quick. The advice to "take it easy and get plenty of rest" doesn't work for me. I go mental! I must have been abducted by aliens as a child because my wiring often goes against all logic. When I'm sick or feeling down I have to be active and power through. I think this drives my wife insane. She wants me to slow down and let her take care of me. I want to clean the entire house and go fishing.

This episode of Sick Man is brought to you by my 17 mile run.

I wasn't prepared for it. I had done my mileage and was ready for the distance. With all our activities and go-go-go, I have been eating a lot of foods my body isn't used to. Not sleeping in the same bed more than 2 nights in a row has definitely taken it's toll as well. My immune system as been compromised and I've been down for the count.

A lot of this down time has been spent reflecting on the story that I've shared with you so far. It has been interesting to look back on the last few years and be reminded of the experiences we have had.

I have been overwhelmed with gratitude as I've had the opportunity to talk to several people who have been following this blog. It's great to have so many people from our new Heber Valley community show interest. It has been humbling to hear powerful stories from other people on similar journeys, receive feedback about what I am writing, and answer some of the questions you have.

A few of these questions have given me a lot to think about. I've wanted to share some of this with you but haven't known the best way to go about it. The past few days of feeling like trash have helped me pull my thoughts together.

From time to time everyone gets sick. We get sick for different reasons and handle it in very different ways. Some people (myself included) deny the fact they aren't doing well and try to proceed with life as best they can. Others medicate. They throw down heavy doses of Airborne, decongestants, pain meds and pass out. Others take it easy. They might have a movie marathon and eat soup.

Casting aside the obvious pros and cons of each method of getting there we all want to feel better. We have different thoughts on how to make it happen. A lot if this is based on how we were raised, and information we are given from family, friends

The truth is, most of us have been sick in a different way. And strangely enough it's because we have followed the doctor's orders.

We have been sticking to THE SCRIPT.

Society is a cruel practitioner. It would have us believe that spending our time, energy, and resources in pursuit of things that just don't matter is an honorable thing. Slaving away in jobs that don't inspire or challenge us in order to afford oversized houses filled with "stuff" that we don't really need or care about is something to strive for. That the worth of a person is somehow measured by the emblems on their vehicles or the tags sewn into and embossed on what they wear. That in our endless drive to upgrade and replace we make ourselves blind to those in need.

This is a prescription for disaster.

Just like eating Popeye's chicken and getting 5 1/2" hours sleep the night before a long run made me sick, feeding our lives this load of bull is killing us. Which areas of the world have the highest rates of cancer, diabetes, stress, depression, anxiety.....? It's those countries and regions who are said to have the "highest standard of living". Sadly, The United States of America is at or near the top of every list.

More primitive areas of the world have their own epidemics and challenges to overcome. Millions of people die each year from hunger and disease. What's the difference? Their suffering is brought on by environment and lack of resources. Most of ours can be attributed to our chosen lifestyle of excess.

So what IS the cure?

SIMPLICITY

I am not suggesting that everyone quit (or get themselves fired from) their jobs, sell everything they own, and live in the woods subsiding on pine nuts and wild salmon. Many people live this type of life and absolutely love it. It would be amazing and I would do it for a month or 2 but then I would start to miss other things I am passionate about. I think most people would.

The prescription for SIMPLICITY looks different to each person. SIMPLICITY means trimming the fat on life. SIMPLICITY means saying no to some things in order to say YES to others. SIMPLICITY means not missing out on spending time with people we love because we are too busy catching up on social media. SIMPLICITY means declining the overtime hours so we can make it to our kids soccer game. SIMPLICITY means....

What would a life of SIMPLICITY look like to you?
 
How would you live MORE?

I really want to know. Please share.



No comments:

Post a Comment